Bleaching liverock

Recommended Posts

So I've begun the process of bleaching my old plugs, calcium frag racks, and old rick that was covered in hair algae. Ive added only 10% bleach to the water and all is looking, well, bleached as I had hoped. However, at this point the plugs are done but slightly smell of bleach. Ive rinsed them 3 times in tap water and have added dechlorinator to the water, where I'm going to leave it for 48-72 hours. Anyone have suggestions after this step? Or should it be good to slowly place in the tank? 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bleach will eventually 100% evaporate, only leaving a salt-like residue (harmless) behind.

If you wanted to pull it out of the rock quicker... soak it in RODI, run a circulation pump and use some sodium thiosulfate to neutralize the chlorine. Chlor Out (available at most pool supply places) contains sodium thiosulfate and is safe to use:

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now